A Tampa Tradition
In 1899, the school was founded by the Jesuit priests of Sacred Heart Church in
downtown Tampa. Known then as Sacred Heart College, and a little later as Tampa
College, the school was renamed Jesuit High School in 1940 in honor of the 400th
anniversary of the founding of the Jesuit Order.
In 1956, Jesuit High School relocated from its turn-of-the-century location to its
present-day Himes Avenue campus. The Himes Avenue location allowed the school
to expand enrollment and provided the space to put down more permanent roots
For more than a century, great care has been taken
to nurture the original mission of the school and to
cultivate its academic standards, campus environment,
and spiritual identity.
The success of Jesuit High School is supported by
the progress of more than 8,000 graduates and by the
continued presence of great grandsons, grandsons, sons,
and brothers of alumni in the composition of its
1899 — Founded as Sacred Heart College by the Jesuit
priests of Sacred Heart Church in downtown Tampa.
1940 — Renamed Jesuit High School in honor of the 400th Anniversary of
the Society of Jesus.
1950 — Jesuit High School wins the basketball state championship under the direction
of Coach Paul Straub, the first time any Catholic school won a state title.
1956 — Relocated to its present day location on Himes Avenue, providing Jesuit
with the proper campus space environment to cultivate its original mission to academic
excellence and spiritual identity.
1987 — Jesuit High School is named a “School of Excellence” by the United States
Department of Education.
1999 — Jesuit High School celebrates its Centennial.
2004 — The Jesuit Memorial Bell Tower is completed and displays the school’s
connection to the nearly 500 years of Jesuit education world-wide. The names of all
Jesuits who have served at Jesuit since 1899, as well as all Jesuit saints and martyrs,
are etched into the tower’s bricks and cobblestones.
2012 — Jesuit High School’s newly opened state-of-the-art baseball stadium, Hyer
Family Park, is named “National Baseball Field of the Year” by the National High School
Baseball Coaches Association.
2014 — Jesuit begins the first phase of a long-term improvement campaign by
transforming the main entrance and creating a new brick and iron perimeter fence,
with handsome signage, outlining the footprint of the campus.
2016 — Jesuit breaks ground on a new chapel and administration/student services
building, as the school launches Phase I of its
extraordinary $40 million campus master plan.
2018 — The Chapel of the Holy Cross and
Gonzmart Hall are blessed and dedicated and will serve
the greater Tampa Bay community for generations.