Monmouth County Historical Association
Native Americans and settlers,
seafarers, soldiers, religious
leaders, abolitionists, former
slaves, presidents, political
leaders, writers, entertainers,
inventors, educators and
ordinary men, women and
children of the last several
centuries have all left their
mark. Visit the sites that tell
their story—the nation’s story.
historic Sites & Collections
ALLEN HOUSE O6
Sycamore Ave. and Broad St., Shrewsbury
Built prior to 1700, Allen House has been restored to the
mid-to-late 18th-century period when it was a tavern known
as the Blue Ball.
COVENHOVEN HOUSE I8
150 West Main St., Freehold
The large Georgian section of the house was built in 1752–
53, and the main rooms have been furnished according to a
1790 inventory of Covenhoven’s estate.
HOLMES-HENDRICKSON HOUSE L4
Longstreet & Roberts Rds., Holmdel
(in Holmdel Park)
Local Dutch building traditions and fashionable Georgian
architecture are illustrated in the house, begun about 1754.
Mid-18th-century furnishings complement the unusually
intact and carefully restored building.
MARLPIT HALL N3
137 Kings Highway, Middletown
This rare example of colonial architecture reflects the
evolution of building traditions in New Jersey. Its furnishings
reflect periods from 1685 through 1820. It is now a stop on
the New Jersey Women’s Heritage Trail.
MUSEUM & LIBRARY I8
70 Court St., Freehold
Period rooms exhibit American furniture, porcelain, glass,
silver and paintings from the 17th, 18th and early 19th
centuries. The library contains source materials pertaining to
Monmouth County and New Jersey history and genealogy.
TAYLOR-BUTLER HOUSE M3
124 Kings Highway, Middletown
Built in 1853 by merchants in the China trade, the house
was furnished with Taylor family heirlooms and treasures.
The house is available for events and meetings.
Photo by Colleen Leslie