KEYPORT FIRE MUSEUM & EDUCATION CENTER K2
86 Broad St., Keyport, 732-739-KFMA
Built in 1900 for the Raritan Hose Company No. 2, the Keyport Fire
Museum & Educational Center building was moved to its present site
in 1919. It served as a firehouse until 1969 and is now Monmouth
County’s only fire museum, with displays ranging from artifacts and
equipment of the 19th century to a section of steel from the World
Trade Center’s twin towers.
KEYPORT HISTORICAL MUSEUM K2
34 Main St., 732-739-6390
The Keyport Historical Society renovated a historic home on Main
Street in Keyport and opened their new headquarters and local
history museum in October 2017. Their former headquarters, the
Steamboat Dock Museum, was destroyed by Hurricane Sandy.
Please visit their website for information about the museum, the
Candlelight House Tour and other Keyport Historical Society events.
CENTENNIAL COTTAGE Q10
Central Ave. and McClintock St., Ocean Grove
The Historical Society of Ocean Grove’s living history
museum offers a glimpse of life in a 19th-century Methodist
Camp Meeting and seaside resort community. Built in 1879,
the cottage boasts extensive Victorian gardens. Centennial
Cottage hosts exhibits and events.
THE GREAT AUDITORIUM P10
Pilgrim Pathway, Ocean Grove
Box Office: 800-965-9324
The focal point of Ocean Grove is a majestic structure built
in 1894 that seats 6,500 persons. Each summer, preachers
can be heard on Sundays, while top-name popular and
classical artists perform on Saturdays. Free organ concerts
on the world-famous Hope-Jones pipe organ take place
Wednesdays and Saturdays.
THE MUSEUM OF THE HISTORICAL SOCIETY
OF OCEAN GROVE Q10
50 Pitman Avenue, Ocean Grove
In 1869, a group of Methodist ministers dedicated themselves
to establish a permanent Christian camp meeting community
here. The museum collection of approximately 15,000 pieces
relates to the history of Methodism, Monmouth County and
19th-century life in this shore town.
SELF-GUIDED WALKING TOURS: THE OCEAN
GROVE AFRICAN-AMERICAN HERITAGE TRAIL
AND WOMEN’S HERITAGE TRAIL P10
Ocean Grove Historical Society
Trace the steps of Booker T. Washington, Marion Anderson,
W.E.B. Dubois and Dr. Ann Howard Shaw as well as Paul
Robeson, Fisk Jubilee Singers, Duke Ellington, Pearl Bailey,
Booker T. Washington and Amanda Berry Smith on self-
guided walking trails that celebrate Ocean Grove’s African-
CHRIST CHURCH O6
380 Sycamore Ave., Shrewsbury
The church was used as a barracks during the Revolutionary War, and
there is a bullet hole in the steeple gilt ball and a musket ball embedded
in the original pulpit. On display are a 1716 “Vinegar” bible and other
CHRIST CHURCH, MIDDLETOWN N3
Kings Highway and Church St., Middletown
Old Christ Church was constructed in 1836 around timbers of a previous
church and still using the Middletown Village blockhouse foundation
dating to 1670.
CHURCH OF THE PRESIDENTS & LONG BRANCH
HISTORICAL MUSEUM Q7
120 Ocean Ave., Long Branch
More presidents have worshipped here since 1869 than at any church
outside of Washington, DC. Note: The site is currently closed for
renovation, though the building is visible from Ocean Avenue.
OLD TENNENT CHURCH H7
448 Tennent Rd., Manalapan
Standing beside the Revolutionary War’s Monmouth Battlefield, this
magnificent Meeting House was built in 1751–53 and served as a
temporary hospital for the American wounded. Near the church are
monuments to soldiers.
ST. PETER’S CHURCH I8
33 Throckmorton St., Freehold
St. Peter’s Church, one of five eighteenth-century Episcopal churches
remaining in New Jersey and the oldest public building still standing
in Freehold, was begun in 1771 and opened for worship in 1797. The
incomplete church structure is said to have sheltered the wounded
during the Revolutionary War’s Battle of Monmouth in 1778.